5/28/2020

Red-eyes-evil characters in cartoons

Dear future historian,

Has people spotted yet in your time the fact that red-eyes-evil characters in cartoons promote skin colour racism?
I noticed that my 6-year-old is really convinced that all bad guys can be spotted by their eye colour.
I don't even know where to start with that!
That stereotype first of all tricks children into the idea that malevolence is spottable.
Which would be ideal, and quite convenient; yet as we all adults know, angel-eyes are not an indication of innocence. I don't feel our children are safe if they believe that there is an arrow pointing dangerous people.
Second, red-eye's stereotype seams like an initiation into the idea that skin -or eye- colour differences indicate intentions. I am so surprise no one talks about that.
I am also very sleepy.
So, talk latter my dear future historian.
I have to sleep so my son won't think in the morning that I am possessed by evil, because I will have red-sleepy-eyes. 
I hope you live in a word that skin and neuro-diversity are celebrated, and people won't 'believe', with such a reverence, in group-identity; I hope they realise that everyone is unique. 
Talk soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment