7/05/2020

About Short Stories

Dear future historian,

I didn't always appreciated short stories. They left me an uncomfortable feeling, like hearing a song for the first time. I thought that they don't give me enough time to connect with the characters, emotionally, or feel that I have enough evidence to make a certain moral judgment about them.
It was only last year that I realised the ability that short stories have to teach us how to zoom and focus in the moment, in the 'Here and Now.'
Plus I feel lately that I just can't make a long term commitment to a story atm. You see, I always spend a lot of time thinking of the characters and the plot of any novel I read. But now I have to focus on other things, quite a lot of things.
So.. I got myself a short stories book, from one of my uni-mates. She just finished the creative writing module that I will start in the new academic year. Her book is a real inspiration. Totally recommend it.
So.. yeah. Mostly my point today is that I denied myself for many years the joy of completing a story, by having this 'short-stories-are-not-for-me mentality, to write one. Like if my novel will get offended if I write anything else b4 ( = before) I finish it.
And I was missing out on the 'Here and Now' lessons of short stories.
Here is where you come, my dear future historian. My 'letters' to you have being so therapeutic for me. Giving me, almost every day, the sense of completing and sharing something (my Here-and-Now,) to you and my contemporaries.
Thank you so much for give me a motivation to write again.. even if I am not ready to complete my novel yet. Even if I'm not ready to commit to a schedule with you yet.

Stay safe and take care

P.S If you enjoy poems I recommend my other uni-mate's poem collection. As I said in my review:
Easy read poems dealing with deep subjects
I read these lovely poems in one go.
They made me think and weep and laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment